All the images in this blog are copyrighted. You are free to use these images for non-commercial purposes, such as desktop wallpapers, etc. For commercial use contact us at email@example.com.
Insect Scout: deadmanswill
Location: Avantipuram, AP, India
Species Identifier(s): Wallby1 (http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/900949/)
Points to appreciate:
- Observe the layout of its eyes. These spiders have eight eyes and four are arranged in a neat row towards the front.
- These spiders move around by jumping and are secured by a silk tether. The concept of spiderman sprung from them.
- The two limbs in the front are called palps (or pedipalps). They aid in ingesting the food into the mouth.
- The hairs on their limbs are sensitive and function in place of sensitive antennae.
- This species was about 1 cm in length.
- Jumping spiders are the largest spider family with about 5000 described species.
- They are well known for their good vision and inquisitiveness.
- They usually disguise themselves by mimicking other insects like beetles, ants, etc. Some are camouflaged to appear like parts of twigs, leaves, rock or sand.
- They can jump nearly 50 times their body length. Some are know to jump even greater distances. This is possible because jumping spiders have an internal hydraulic system in their legs that enables them to change their blood pressure and use it to gain leverage while jumping.